Friday, January 30, 2009

Coolest Dream Ever? Maybe.

I had one of the most vivid dreams last night that I've had (and remembered) in a long time. The setting was futuristic and most likely post-apocalyptic. Old cars and discarded metals were strewn about in all directions, and the skies were dark at the peak of the day. In fact, it was very much like that of the post-apocalyptic world seen in the future scenes of Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles, save for the threat of man-killing machines. What was the threat? You guessed it: zombie predators.

No, not predators. Predators like lions, tigers, and bears. The ones I dreamed about, though, were zombie panthers and wolves.

The dream started out with me and some of my friends playing hide-and-go-seek in the dark. I know: how juvenile. Well let me tell you, hide-and-go-seek has never been as good as it is in a post-apocalyptic world strewn about with shacks among piles of discarded Peugeots and VW Rabbits. So we were playing, and I strayed a little far from the invisible perimeter of the game.

Suddenly, I found myself walking in a now-defunct train yard and wondering how I got there. I came to the base of a hill scattered with clutter, and lights were coming from its peak. I walked upwards toward the light, and spotted a zombie panther in the distance, a purple aura glowing around it. I know: awesome, right? So I put a little kick in my step, and made it to the light source.


Like this, but a zombie and emitting purple light:




















Turns out, some of my other friends were having a party. So, naturally, I joined in. There was much talking and carousing and dancing. After I had partied enough, I stepped out of the door, only to see that the house/shack/old bus had been surrounded by futuristic cop cars, which are a lot like the old, square ones from RoboCop.

So I think the party is about to get busted up, and I ask one of the future cops what's going on. They reply that there is a zombie wolf on the loose, and that they are trying to hunt it down, and along the way are telling everyone to seek shelter. Of course, the zombie wolf is the most vicious, stealthy, and blood-thirsty of all zombie predators.

So I start rushing down the hill, trying to find my way back to the train tracks in an effort to get back to the friends that I was playing hide-and-seek with so I can warn them. I come to a clearing, and realize that, again, I have no idea where I am. All I know is that there are cars stacked in eerie columns all around, and that there is a full moon. Luckily, my friends start coming out of the shadows, and say they've been looking for me. Unluckily, the zombie wolf then comes out of its own shadow, and it truly is a brooding, blood-thirsty beast. Think the wolf from the opening sequence of 300, except this one is blue, has exposed ribs, yellow eyes, lots of drool, and is glowing with radiation of some sort.

The zombie wolf begins its rounds of skulking and stalking, and I can tell it's about to make its move. So I bring my double-barrel shotgun (I know, I didn't know I had one either) up to the ready position, after shakily loading it with two deadly shells. I know I have to wait until the beast is upon me before I shoot, or I don't have a chance of at least slowing it before it kills me and my friends, but I still squeeze the trigger with sweat, anticipation, and tremendous fright.

Finally, after slowly zig-zagging down a small slope towards me, the zombie wolf launches from its hind legs.

I want to pull the trigger, but I wait.

Seconds turn in to minutes. I know I only have one shot.

I wait till its jaws are open for the kill, so I can shove my double barrel into its mouth: sure to sever the brain stem.

One, clean shot.

Smoke snakes from barrels of the gun. The heaving monster is at my feet, still quivering with the last firings of neurons through its biologically altered synapses.

I wake up.

5 comments:

Joel said...

Insane. What a dream! I'm sure Freud has a lot to say about that one.

Molly said...

SUCH a boy dream. I love that airbrushed picture of a [zombie] panther.

Connor Scogin said...

Ok I just read this and Yes. Coolest Dream EVER. I once had one where I was stuck in my parent's house during a zombie outbreak, but it was cool because they were slow zombies.

Ben Rector said...

dominated. i want to be you in that dream

Anonymous said...

Amazing. I had a dream like that when I was taking steroids: The short story is everybody's dogs revolted and starting killing people, and they also became smart enough to use cars to do the deed. My dog came to kill me, and I felt betrayed. Then I woke up.

William