Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Invention is Dead

As a young boy, I had dreams of building a hovercraft.

Real dreams. I would lay in bed for hours before I could fall asleep - drafting imagined plans of my future transportation - going over them continuously until I had them just right. Then, when I finally fell asleep, I would do the same thing. I would turn my plans over and over again. Sometimes, if I was lucky, I would have actually built my craft. Even more rare were the dreams that allowed me to ride it. But these just gave me something to look forward to.

At first, my imagination was devoted to a hovercar: a real car, such as would be marketed out of Detroit. Then, I realized that I had neither the means nor the capability of creating such a vehicle. So, I focused my thoughts on a hover-scooter: something that I truly believed I could make as a 10-year-old boy. I had done research. I had looked for materials. I was still in need of a high-powered vacuum cleaner motor. And a battery to power it. After these things, all I would need was the skirting material. Then I would have everything necessary to create a rough prototype of my scooter.

I never tried. I never even tried to put it together.

It would have worked. I swear it would have worked. Even to this day, thinking about it (the plans are burned in my mind), I have full confidence that if had the tools and the money, I could create a functional hover-scooter.

I have to make it work.

1 comment:

Tron McKnight said...

Tha'ts ridiculous. It would never work. Quit smoking your pipe dream and get a job, vagrant.